One hundred and forty three students participating in a school educational trip to the WWII Nazi death camps built in Poland after it was occupied by the Germans were stricken with serious stomach cramps and pains while touring the camps.
The leaders of the educational trip reported to Yediot Ahronot that six of the students had initially complained of strong stomach pains and illness. The hospital in Warsaw checked for the possibility that the students had food poisoning; this possibility, however, was eventually rejected, and it was found that the six had a stomach virus. They were treated at the scene, some intravenously. After a short treatment, the six joined their friends again, with a recommendation from the doctor to rest for a day.
The doctors added that any other students who started to show similar symptoms should similarly be recommended to a day’s rest, but there was no need to bring them to the hospital.
The virus spread and ended up infecting 143 of the touring students. Doctors recommended that those infected rest under supervision of the doctor accompanying the tour. Some of those infected later were also in need of intravenous treatment.