Mizrahi family
Mizrahi family Courtesy of the family

Nearly one year has passed since Chief Superintendent Baruch Mizrahi, the head of the Technology Unit in the Sigint Unit, was murdered - as he, his pregnant wife, and three children were driving to Kiryat Arba for a Passover seder meal.

Mizrahi's murder caused a major outcry among Israeli public and politicians, who called for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to stop peace talks in the murder's wake. 

Hadas Mizrahi spoke to Channel 10 on Wednesday about the murder, as she looked back over the past year. She, too, had been severely injured in the attack - but she spoke mostly of Baruch. 

"I know I will have to organize the trip [to Kiryat Arba for Passover - ed.], but it will be very, very hard," she stated. "It will take me back to last year."

This year, she says, they will steer clear of Route 35, but the memories will stay with her. 

She added that they will try to keep their routine on Passover (Pesach), as well as keep Baruch's memory alive. 

"We will do a Pesach play about the Exodus before we begin to talk about Dad, and try to mix joy in with the sadness," she said of the Seder. 

'I told the children to duck'

Last year, shortly after the attack, Hadas described the sequence of events in a Channel 2 interview. 

"We were driving from Modi'in to Kiryat Arba,” she said at the time. “At the Tarkumia checkpoint, we said hello to the soldiers, and kept going. After the first roundabout, a terrorist was standing at the roadside. Baruch shouted 'A terrorist! Shooting!' and pressed the gas pedal.”

"Then I took a bullet,” she continued, calmly. “Baruch's foot was still on the gas. The vehicle started to zigzag. I took the wheel and kept driving, away from the terrorists. I saw that we had gotten pretty far away and lowered the gear. Meanwhile, the bullets were still flying by us and I told the children 'duck down, duck down. Everything is OK.'

"Once I saw that we were far away from the terrorist I took a piece of cloth and covered my bullet holes, I called [police hotline] 100 and informed them that there had been a terror attack, and that they should come, and then when the soldiers came I asked them for a bandage to cover my wounds because I have to live for my children.”

Hadas Mizrahi took to the media to campaign for public support for the demolition of the home of her husband's murderer, Ziyad Awad. Awad was serving a sentence in an Israeli jail but was freed in 2011 as part of the Shalit deal. In retaliation, Awad's home was destroyed in July.