Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister, Abbas Araqchi, said on Tuesday that the next round of nuclear talks between Iran and the six world powers will be held in Geneva, Switzerland on January 18, the IRNA news agency reported.
Araqchi said the talks will be held at the level of deputy foreign ministers and that prior to negotiations, the Iranian negotiating team is to hold bilateral talks with delegations from the United States and Russia.
Tehran and the so-called P5+1 group of nations have been locked in talks since February on a permanent nuclear deal aimed at ending a decade-long diplomatic crisis.
Despite making progress, the two sides failed to clinch a definitive deal by a November deadline and agreed to extend the talks for another seven months.
Another inconclusive round of negotiations was held in Geneva between Iranian officials and the six powers in December. Araqchi said following those talks that they had been "very useful and helpful".
Earlier on Tuesday, reported IRNA, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told members of parliament that the western governments have recognized Iranian legitimate right to enrich uranium as per the interim nuclear accord signed on November 24, 2013.
He said that what is discussed in the nuclear talks is the percentage of uranium enrichment and ruled out the possibility of nuclear enrichment outside Iran.
Before the talks were extended, Iran had been toughening its stance, with Araqchi saying he sees no prospect for a deal unless the other side abandons its “illogical excessive demands”.
A senior Iranian official followed those comments by declaring that Iran will demand that all Western sanctions be lifted as part of a final deal, rejecting an American proposal of a gradual lifting of sanctions.