A New York appeals court on Tuesday dismissed Ivanka Trump from a wide-ranging fraud lawsuit brought against her father and his company last year by the state’s attorney general, The Associated Press reported.
The civil lawsuit, brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James, accused former US President Donald Trump of padding his net worth by billions of dollars and misleading banks, insurance companies and others about the value of his assets, including golf courses and the Mar-a-Lago estate.
The lawsuit had named Trump’s three eldest children -- Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric Trump -- as defendants, along with multiple Trump Organization executives.
However, in a ruling on Tuesday, the Appellate Division of New York’s Supreme Court dismissed the claims against Ivanka Trump, ruling that they were barred by the state’s statute of limitations.
While claims over alleged wrongdoing after February 2016 were permissible, the court said, Ivanka Trump had stepped back from involvement in the Trump Organization and wasn’t accused in the lawsuit of any misconduct during that later time period.
The panel left it to a lower-court judge to determine whether other parts of the lawsuit would also be barred by the state’s statute of limitations.
A representative for Ivanka Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment. James’ office said in a statement that it planned to continue to pursue the case.
In April, Trump answered questions for nearly seven hours during his second deposition in the James’ lawsuit.
In January, a New York State judge tossed a motion from the Trump family to dismiss James’ $250 million lawsuit, calling the motion “frivolous”.
Trump has dismissed the investigation as a “politically motivated Witch Hunt.”