A New York State judge on Friday tossed a motion from the Trump family to dismiss New York Attorney General Letitia James’ $250 million lawsuit.
Judge Arthur Engoron called the motion “frivolous,” according to CNN.
Engoron previously dismissed several other motions from former President Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump in the case last year.
In a written statement, the judged called the Trump family’s most recent attempt to dismiss the case “frivolous.”
“Reading these arguments was, to quote the baseball sage Lawrence Peter (‘Yogi’) Berra, ‘Déjà vu all over again,’” the judge said in the ruling.
He added that he came close to issuing sanctions against the Trumps’ lawyers.
“Sophisticated defense counsel should have known better,” he said. “In its discretion this Court will not impose sanctions, which the Court believes are unnecessary, having made its point.”
He also threw out the Trumps’ claim that some of the allegations took place outside of the statute of limitations.
The New York AG’s civil lawsuit, filed in September 2022, alleges that the Trump family enriched themselves for over two decades from "numerous acts of fraud and misrepresentations.” It accuses the family of inflating Donald Trump’s net worth by billion and of issuing misleading financial statements. It seeks $250 million and a ban on any of the defendants running a company in the state of New York.
In the months since the suit was filed, Trump has repeatedly attempted to have the investigation squashed through various legal means.
(Israel National News' North American desk is keeping you updated until the start of Shabbat in New York. The time posted automatically on all Israel National News articles, however, is Israeli time.)