Staff Sgt. Asil Sawaed
Staff Sgt. Asil Sawaedpicture used with permission of family/United Hatzalah

The findings of the investigation into the terrorist attack at the Shuafat checkpoint in which Staff Sgt. Asil Sawaed was murdered yesterday (Monday) were released Tuesday evening.

According to the investigation, Sgt. Sawaed boarded a bus at the checkpoint together with a civilian security guard to check the identity cards of the passengers. The attacker, a 13-year-old boy, was sitting at the back of the bus when he suddenly stood up and stabbed Sawaed in the head.

The security guard drew his weapon and fired one shot, which struck Sawaed in an artery in his thigh, Kan News reported.

Security has been increased at the Shuafat checkpoint following the murder of IDF Sergeant Noa Lazar by a terrorist at the site last October. As part of the new procedures, it was decided that young adults would be required to exit buses during inspections, while children, pregnant women, and elderly people would be allowed to remain on the buses.

The terrorist in yesterday's attack was allowed to remain on the bus during the inspection because he is a 13-year-old boy. In light of the attack, the security echelon will conduct a situational assessment which may result in new procedures.

According to a source involved in the incident, the security guard was distraught after realizing that he had accidentally shot Sgt. Sawaed and even threatened to harm himself. The two were friends who had known each other from the Bedouin village of Hussniyya in the Galilee.

The terrorist said during his interrogation that he brought the knife from home and told the investigators: "I wanted to stab a soldier."

His detention and the detention of the 14-year-old terrorist who stabbed a Jewish teenager in the Old City of Jerusalem in another attack yesterday were extended by six days. In addition, the detention of the terrorist suspected of attempting to run over security forces during operational activity in Shuafat last night was also extended by six days.