US President Donald Trump stated on Monday that he does not intend to seek an extension of the June framework agreement negotiated with Iran to resolve the conflict, while asserting that American forces have established "total control" over the Strait of Hormuz.

"No," Trump responded when questioned by reporters on whether he was pursuing an extension to the Iranian arrangement brokered by Pakistan in June.

The President's statements came as the 60-day negotiating window drew toward its conclusion without yielding a comprehensive settlement, which the framework deal had aimed to achieve. The timeline was set by the June agreement to allow a period for broader peace talks.

When asked if both nations were making progress toward a final resolution under the framework, Trump indicated that Iranian leaders wish to negotiate but remain unwilling to concede to terms he deems necessary.

"They want to make a deal, but they are not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary," Trump said.

He reaffirmed his position that Tehran must not acquire nuclear capabilities.

"Look, we're in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You understand that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won't have a nuclear weapon," he added.

When asked about his remarks last week suggesting he would declare the Strait of Hormuz a United States territory, Trump stood by the concept, arguing that a military blockade gives the US. full command of the strategic passage.

“Well, I just think it's a great idea," the president said.

“I mean, we control it. We control it with the blockade. We have a blockade. We control it with the blockade, and I like the idea of declaring it a territory. We have total control over the Strait. Now, they can be a nuisance ... But the blockade has been very effective."

Trump described the naval blockade as effective and asserted that US operations were allowing millions of oil barrels to pass through the region weekly.

“We are taking out - maybe that will stop, or maybe it will open up even further - we are taking out millions of barrels of oil a week," he said.

“The strait is open, and the oil prices are coming down, and they will continue to come down unless we decide to do something far more drastic than we are doing," he said, noting that Iran is “in big trouble."

Iranian officials reacted forcefully to Trump's public assertions made during a rally on Friday. Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, maintained that Tehran retains complete authority over transit through the Strait of Hormuz, reiterating that Iran's naval restrictions will remain until Washington recognizes its "strategic defeat."

In a social media post countering Trump's statements, Gharibabadi wrote, “Once and for all, accept the reality: up to this point, you have suffered strategic and heavy defeats; the Strait of Hormuz has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian."

On Saturday, a senior Iranian parliamentarian mocked a recent security measure involving the US President - wherein he was moved between aircraft in a catering vehicle due to safety risks - while issuing a warning.

“The US President ought to worry about his own security rather than his endless bluffing regarding the Strait of Hormuz; before he ends up hiding in a food truck," posted Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Commission.

During his Monday remarks, Trump also commented on Oman's involvement in diplomatic talks related to Iran and the opening of the shipping channel.

When asked if he had lost patience with Oman, Trump remarked that the country had not “behaved very well," but implied the US could address the matter.

“No, I don't think they behaved very well, but we'd handle them very easily, just like we do other things," Trump stated.