Father of 18-year-old Naomi describes the attack this morning
Father of 18-year-old Naomi describes the attack this morning Photo: Kan 11

A reporter with Kan 11 News station talked with Uri Pilichowski, father of 18-year-old Naomi, an immigrant to Israel from the United States, who was lightly injured in the terrorist attack Wednesday morning at the entrance to Jerusalem.

Pilichowsky is a columnist with the Jerusalem Post and an educator for Nefesh b'Nefesh. His wife is mayor of Mizpeh Yeriho, 20 kilometers east of Jerusalem, where the family lives after immigrating to Israel eight years ago. Naomi lives in Jerusalem, across the road from the site of the attack. She is doing her national service in Beit Shemesh and was on her way there when the bomb exploded.

Question: What do you hear from her?

Pilichowski: She is fine, thank God, just fine. She is receiving good treatment in the hospital, both emotionally and physically. She was hurt a bit on her shoulder but, thank goodness, she is fine. She was on her way to her National Service at an educational institution in Beit Shemesh.

Question: What does she say about the moment of the explosion? What preceded it?

Pilichowski: It was frightening. There was a large cloud of smoke and things flew in the air. She called us and told us that there was a terror attack.

Question: Did she say if she saw something, something suspicious?

Pilichowski: No. It just happened and she saw people on the ground and she started to run away from there. She was frightened, she knew it was dangerous, so she ran away.

Question: How does she feel now?

Pilichowski: Thank God she is fine. She’s with her mother and with her friend who was there with her the whole time and that helps a lot. They evacuated her by ambulance. She didn’t feel like she needed to go in an ambulance and they are taking good care of her.

This conversation took place outside the hospital. It follows the double terrorist attack Wednesday morning in Jerusalem, one at the entrance to the city and a second one 30 minutes later at the Ramot Junction.

According to the suspicion, the charges that exploded operated similar mechanisms and were activated remotely.

MDA medics and paramedics provided initial treatment to the wounded and evacuated them to the hospitals. Five lightly wounded were evacuated to the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital, one moderately injured, and four others were evacuated to the Hadassah Mount Scopus Hospital. Five wounded were evacuated to the Shaare Zedek Hospital: two in critical condition, one of whom later succumbed to his injuries after prolonged resuscitation efforts, and three in a moderate condition where their lives are not in danger.

Police Commissioner R.N. Yaacov Shabtai said Wednesday morning, "Not an easy morning, the kind of attack that has not been seen for many years and two attacks in a row. The police are currently combing all areas in the city in the effort to apprehend the perpetrators of the attack. We will do everything in our power, together with all the other security forces, to reach this cell."

Jerusalem District Commander, Superintendent Doron Turgeman, added, "This is an unfolding terrorist incident that began at 7:05 a.m., followed a short time later by an incident that occurred at the Ramot intersection. We are currently still in the stages of combing the crime scene and beyond. The investigation is in its early stages with all forces involved, both the district forces and national reinforcements."