Israel Katz and Chief of Staff Zamir
Israel Katz and Chief of Staff Zamirנטע דבח, משרד הביטחון

Defense Minister Israel Katz revealed today (Saturday) new details about the Israeli strike on the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria, claiming that it was carried out following unequivocal intelligence indicating that Turkey intended to establish military infrastructure there that could have endangered Israel’s security.

According to Katz, the IDF recommended carrying out the strike several times. Following a series of discussions held by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Katz with security officials, it was decided first to deliver a direct warning to the Syrian regime at the highest levels in an attempt to prevent the move. The relevant authorities in the United States were also informed.

“When the Syrian regime did not heed the warning, the strike was authorized and successfully carried out," Katz said. “Erdoğan was caught with his hand in the cookie jar and was forced to back down."

The Defense Minister stressed that Israel would not allow any hostile actor to establish itself in Syria in a manner that threatens its borders. “We will not allow anyone to endanger the security of the State of Israel, and we will act against every threat. This is one of the central lessons of the events of October 7," he said.

Katz also addressed claims by opposition and media figures that the strike had been carried out for political reasons ahead of the elections.

“The attempt to paint a security operation in political colors stems from ignorance, a lack of understanding of Israel’s security interests, and a constant desire to attack the government," he charged.

The minister subsequently also criticized US President Donald Trump’s envoy to Syria, Tom Barrack, who suggested that the strike was intended to provoke a Turkish response and also claimed that Israel “occupies" the Golan Heights.

Katz responded that Barrack’s remarks were “full of inaccuracies and contradict President Trump’s clear position," noting that Trump recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. According to Katz, someone representing the US administration cannot disregard the official policy established by Trump on the issue.

Meanwhile, the IDF continued its operations in Syria today as well, striking a terrorist in the Beit Jinn area in the south of the country after, according to the IDF, he advanced terrorist plots that posed an immediate threat to Israeli forces.

Israeli officials made clear that Israel would continue to act to eliminate any security threat beyond the border.