Police and security personnel at the scene of a Jerusalem bombing
Police and security personnel at the scene of a Jerusalem bombingPhoto by Olivier Fitoussil/Flash90

Israeli security forces have identified and captured the Arab terrorist believed responsible for a pair of bombings in Jerusalem last month that left two people dead and over a dozen injured.

On Tuesday, Israel’s military censor cleared for publication details of the arrest, including the identity of the suspected terrorist.

Eslam Froukh, a 26-year-old mechanical engineer living in Israel with no prior known ties to terrorism, was arrested on November 29th, following an investigation by the Shin Bet internal security agency, Jerusalem District police, and the IDF. The additional suspects arrested in the November 29th bust were later found not to have had any connection with the case and were released.

Authorities said Tuesday morning that Froukh resided both in Ramallah in the Palestinian Authority and in Kafr Aqab, an Arab village within the municipal boundaries of Jerusalem, on the northern edge of the city. Identified by the Shin Bet Tuesday as a resident, but not a citizen of Israel, it is unclear if Froukh is an Israeli citizen, or merely holds permanent residency status.

Froukh was arrested at a factory he is employed at in the Mishor Adumim industrial zone, adjacent to Ma'ale Adumim.

Investigators say Froukh identifies with the Salafist movement within Sunni Islam, and is a supporter of the ISIS terror organization.

Froukh carried out the twin bombings alone, authorities said Tuesday.

Two explosions rocked Jerusalem on the morning of November the 23rd, hitting bus stops in Givat Shaul and Ramot.

Aryeh Schupak, a 15-year-old Canadian yeshiva student, and Tadessa Tshuma, a father of six from Pisgat Ze’ev, were both killed in the Givat Shaul bombing. More than a dozen others were injured in the attacks.

A third, larger explosive, which was to have been detonated when emergency teams responded to the initial bombing, failed to detonate as a result of a malfunction in the cell phone used to set off the bombs.

In the weekend after the bombings, Shin Bet investigators and IDF soldiers found a scooter believed to have been used in the attack, along with five pipe bombs and clothing worn by the terrorist during and after the placement of the explosive devices.

Froukh, investigators say, was an avid consumer of pro-terrorist media content, which also aided him in learning how to assemble the bombs used in the attacks.

Prior to the twin bombings, Froukh practiced assembling and detonating explosive devices, using a pit he dug in the Binyamin district north of Jerusalem. Froukh also used the pit to conceal explosive material for assembling new bombs, a Carlo-style automatic firearm, and a bomb already prepared for use.

Shin Bet officials say Froukh was in the midst of planning an additional attack when he was arrested.

On Monday, Prime Minister Yair Lapid lauded the Shin Bet, IDF, and Israel Police for foiling Froukh’s planned attack.

"Following an operation that lasted several weeks, the security forces have arrested terrorists in Judea and Samaria who were planning to carry out a large-scale bomb attack in Israel, assisted by terrorist organizations from the Gaza Strip."

"The war against terrorists and their cells continues on a daily basis in all sectors. The security forces are constantly working to thwart all attempts to attack us."

"The battle is not over. The State of Israel has zero tolerance for terrorism and is taking constant action against it. This is the only way we can maintain routine life alongside our relentless fight against terrorism."

Police filed a preliminary indictment against Froukh Tuesday, with a full indictment for two counts of murder and terrorism charges expected in the next few days.