International Criminal Court
International Criminal CourtiStock

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced new sanctions Tuesday against International Criminal Court (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, marking another step in the Trump administration's campaign against the tribunal.

Rubio said the Japanese ICC president and Senegalese senior lawyer were being targeted for their involvement in efforts to "prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction".

The ICC defended its personnel and criticized the American measures, saying it stands behind its staff and that actions of this kind "undermine the rule of law."

Rubio sharply attacked the court, describing it as "a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate. We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty."

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed the sanctions and criticized the ICC's conduct.

"The ICC has become a kangaroo court that cloaks its abuse of power in the language of international law while undermining the very principles of justice."

"I commend Secretary of State Marco Rubio for leading the Trump Administration's determined efforts against the ICC's illegitimate overreach, and for making clear that the corrupt officials who lead the ICC will face consequences," added the Prime Minister.

The latest measures expand a series of sanctions imposed by the Trump administration on ICC officials. Washington has previously targeted at least 11 court officials, including nine judges.

The penalties include freezing assets, imposing travel restrictions and limiting the provision of services by US companies.

The earlier sanctions were imposed in response to ICC investigations involving US personnel in Afghanistan, as well as arrest warrants issued against senior Israeli officials, including Netanyahu, over alleged war crimes in Gaza.

Neither the United States nor Israel is a member of the ICC. The Palestinian Authority joined the court in 2015, allowing it to examine alleged crimes committed in areas under its jurisdiction.

Karim Khan, the ICC's former chief prosecutor, was also among those sanctioned by Washington last year. He was recently removed from his duties following an internal investigation into allegations of misconduct.

Rubio said earlier this month that the United States was beginning a “sweeping campaign to dismantle the threat posed by the International Criminal Court to US sovereignty."