IDF and police forces completed the evacuation and dismantling of the Giborei Hevron encampment between Hevron and Kiryat Arba early this morning, by order of Defense Minister Sha'ul Mofaz. Kiryat Arba Chief Rabbi Dov Lior called on the four families and singles who were living there, as well as the some 200 others who came to resist the evacuation, not to clash with soldiers. The eviction was in fact carried out on both sides with a minimum of friction, though six persons were taken into custody.



Local Jewish leaders attempted to negotiate with the army, asking - in vain - that at least a small civilian presence remain. Ousted resident Menachem Boyarsky told Arutz-7's Kobi Sela this morning: "A couple of thousands of soldiers and policemen [over 1,500 soldiers and 500 police, according to more precise reports] were brought to a nearby area during the night, where they sat and waited, hoping that the rain and cold would get the people to leave on their own - but it didn't happen, so finally at 5 AM they began the actual dismantling."



The encampment was established a month ago at the site in which twelve civilians, soldiers, and officers were killed in an ambush battle two days beforehand. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said at the time that a Jewish territorial contiguity must be established between Kiryat Arba and Hevron. Since that declaration, two more soldiers were killed in the same area by Palestinian murderers; the victims were fatally shot last week from inside one of the Arab structures along the route.



Boyarsky said that re-settlement efforts would begin again on Sunday: "As everyone who lives here knows, our 30 years of settlement efforts in Sebastia, Elon Moreh, Kiryat Arba, Hevron, and elsewhere have always been this way: We fall, then we get up again. We are bonded with this land, and Am Yisrael Chai [the Nation of Israel lives]."