The Israeli Army informed the families of two suicide terrorists this morning that their homes would be destroyed on Tuesday - but then retracted. The families, who live in the eastern Jerusalem neighborhood of Abu Dis, appealed to the military prosecutor in Judea and Samaria, asking him to suspend the demolitions - and he agreed. The terrorists who lived there blew themselves up on Ben-Yehuda St. in Jerusalem last December, murdering 11 young Jews. The Supreme Court is to rule this week on other army requests to demolish terrorist homes.
The Supreme Court will rule tomorrow on whether or not to deport three siblings of terrorists who helped out in two murderous attacks. The killings in question concern the Tisha B'Av bombing in Tel Aviv, in which five people lost their lives, and the second Emanuel attack, where nine Jews were murdered.
A restraining order against the IDF's "neighbor procedure" - which involves surrounding the house of a terrorist suspect, then having an Arab neighbor go to the house and attempt to convince the suspect to give himself up - is still in effect. The State has asked for two weeks in which to present its defense of the procedure. The assumption is that the neighbor, who speaks the language and knows the suspect, will have better success in his efforts than Israeli soldiers. Recently, however, a neighbor was shot and killed by the suspect, Nasser Jarar - even though the latter was warned via loudspeaker that his neighbor was approaching. This prompted Arab and Israeli civil-rights groups to demand an end to the procedure. Col. (res.) Moshe Hager told Israel Television that the procedure had been used safely many thousands of times in the past, and actually saves both Arab and Jewish lives.
Justice Minister Meir Sheetrit said today that he is in favor of revoking the citizenship of Israeli-Arab terrorists and even of destroying their homes. Sheetrit, who met with Interior Minister Eli Yeshai to discuss this matter today, said, "We must do everything we can that stands the test of legality in order to deter terrorism and restore security to Israeli citizens." Yeshai has already begun the process of revoking the status of the Jerusalem-area Arabs responsible for eight attacks and 35 deaths who were apprehended last week.
The Supreme Court will rule tomorrow on whether or not to deport three siblings of terrorists who helped out in two murderous attacks. The killings in question concern the Tisha B'Av bombing in Tel Aviv, in which five people lost their lives, and the second Emanuel attack, where nine Jews were murdered.
A restraining order against the IDF's "neighbor procedure" - which involves surrounding the house of a terrorist suspect, then having an Arab neighbor go to the house and attempt to convince the suspect to give himself up - is still in effect. The State has asked for two weeks in which to present its defense of the procedure. The assumption is that the neighbor, who speaks the language and knows the suspect, will have better success in his efforts than Israeli soldiers. Recently, however, a neighbor was shot and killed by the suspect, Nasser Jarar - even though the latter was warned via loudspeaker that his neighbor was approaching. This prompted Arab and Israeli civil-rights groups to demand an end to the procedure. Col. (res.) Moshe Hager told Israel Television that the procedure had been used safely many thousands of times in the past, and actually saves both Arab and Jewish lives.
Justice Minister Meir Sheetrit said today that he is in favor of revoking the citizenship of Israeli-Arab terrorists and even of destroying their homes. Sheetrit, who met with Interior Minister Eli Yeshai to discuss this matter today, said, "We must do everything we can that stands the test of legality in order to deter terrorism and restore security to Israeli citizens." Yeshai has already begun the process of revoking the status of the Jerusalem-area Arabs responsible for eight attacks and 35 deaths who were apprehended last week.