One person was killed early Monday morning after a fire broke out in a hostel for the mentally ill in the central Israeli city of Rehovot.
Firefighters were dispatched to the Beit Hannah hostel after the blaze was reported, and helped evacuate dozens of people from the building.
Twenty-two people living at the hostel, ranging in age from 30 to 60, suffered minor injuries due to smoke inhalation. They were evacuated to the Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot and the Assaf HaRofe Medical Center in Tzrifin.
MDA emergency first responders were also called to the scene, and helped recover a 45-year-old man who had been trapped in the building.
The 45-year-old man suffered burns across his body, and was declared dead at the scene.
MDA emergency first responders Noam Loubaton and Shimon Parash said that "When we arrived on the scene, we saw smoke coming out of the first floor of the building. Firefighters rescued 22 residents who were inside; they were fully conscious and were suffering from smoke inhalation."
"During searches, we found a man about 40 years of age who had burns, was not breathing and did not have a pulse. We performed medical examinations. Unfortunately, we soon had to determine his death."