An eight-month-old baby choked on a toy early Friday morning. United Hatzalah dispatch center alerted the nearest EMS volunteers one of whom was Uzi Barak a volunteer EMT with the organization. In less than 90 seconds Uzi arrived at the home of choking child and after administering first aid protocols succeeded at dislodging the toy from the baby's throat.
"When I arrived at the scene of the incident together with other United Hatzalah volunteers from the ambucycle unit, we proceeded to administer first aid protocols and succeeded at removing the foreign object from the throat of the infant. Miraculously two steel game pieces were disgorged from the baby's throat that had been clogging his airway. After we removed the pieces that baby was taken to Ma'aynei Hayeshua hospital for further care and observation. He was fully conscious and in good spirits when he was transported.
In another incident also on Friday morning, United Hatzalah EMS volunteers performed CPR on a two-month-old baby in Rehovot who had lost consciousness.
"The baby was transported to the hospital while still undergoing CPR treatment and in critical condition," said Yisrael Amar, a United Hatzalah volunteer EMT who was one of the first responders at the scene.