Police are investigating whether the Manchester Arena suicide bombing was orchestrated by a terror network. However the attacker's father claims that his son who died in the bombing was innocent.
Chief Constable Ian Hopkins stated that four more people have been arrested in the case so far as possible accomplices of Salman Abedi, the alleged bomber.
Hopkins said all the families of the victims have been notified, including that of a female policewomanfrom the Cheshire constabulary who also was killed in the attack, the Guardian reported.
The British government did not comment on a report from the US that Abedi’s family had warned British authorities that he was dangerous. So far, the Home Office has only said that security services knew of Abedi “up to a point." Home Secretary Amber Rudd has declined to elaborate on the matter.
However Abedi’s father has denied that his son was behind the bombing or had any ties to militants. Ramadan Abedi said he spoke to his 22-year-old son five days ago while he was getting ready to visit Saudi Arabia and that he sounded “normal.” He said Salman was planning to travel from Saudi Arabia to Libya to spend the holy month of Ramadan with relatives. He also said his son visited Libya a month-and-a-half ago.
“We don’t believe in killing innocents. This is not us,” the elder Abedi told The Associated Press by phone from Tripoli.
He said his other son, Ismail, was arrested in England on Tuesday morning.
Ramadan Abedi fled Tripoli in 1993 after Moammar Gadhafi’s security authorities issued an arrest warrant and eventually sought political asylum in Britain.
He is now the administrative manager of the Central Security forces in Tripoli.