Oleander plant
Oleander plantBeterem organization

A 13-year-old boy from Jerusalem’s Beit Hanina neighborhood was hospitalized in serious condition after he apparently chewed leaves of the poisonous oleander plant.

The boy was rushed to Hadassah Ein Kerem hospital suffering from cardiac arrest and apparently also suffered a brain injury due to lack of oxygen supply.

Oleander is a popular ornamental plant with pink and white flowers. However, it is considered highly toxic as it can cause damage to the heart and nervous system.

Beterem, the National Center for Child Safety and Health, recommended that parents to keep plants away from small children and teach children not to chew unfamiliar plants.

If necessary, parents should call the National Institute for Poisonings (04-8541900). Parents should not force their child to vomit without the explicit order from a doctor or poison control representative as it may increase the risk of certain health problems.