(Illustration) Reuters

A hunger-striking Palestinian security prisoner is to remain in Israeli jail despite warnings over his deteriorating health, the
country's top court ruled Wednesday.

The Supreme Court said it would not release Mohammed al-Qiq immediately but would follow his health on a daily basis.

Qiq has been on hunger strike for 63 days over his detention under Israel's administrative detention law and his organs are at risk of failure any day, his legal team claims. 

The European Union on Wednesday said it was "especially concerned" about his deteriorating health.

His lawyer Jawad Boulus asked the Supreme Court to release him but the three judges ruled that an earlier decision by a military court to detain him was legal.

Boulus said the judges were "briefed on classified material and are convinced" that Qiq "constitutes a danger to the security of Israel," so
declined to overturn the military court's ruling.

The evidence provided by the Shin Bet security services was presented to the judges without witnesses, who had to leave the room.

Under Israel's controversial administrative detention law, the state can hold suspects for renewable six-month periods without trial.

Qiq, 33, a correspondent for Saudi Arabia's Almajd television, was arrested on November 21 at his home in the Palestinian Authority  city of Ramallah in Samaria.

Shin Bet said he was arrested for "terror activity" as a member of the Hamas terror group, which controls Gaza.

He denies the charges and has been refusing food since November 25 in protest at the "torture and ill-treatment that he was subjected to during interrogation," claims Addameer, a Palestinian human rights organization.

During the trial, which was attended by four Arab members of the Israeli parliament, judge Elyakim Rubinstein brought up the case of Mohammed Allan.

Allan, an Islamic Jihad terrorist, ended a two-month hunger strike last summer after Israel suspended his detention without trial.

Rubinstein asked how long after abandoning his strike Allan was able to return to health, and he was told about a month by lawyer Boulus.

Qiq was jailed for a month in 2003 and then for 13 months in 2004 for Hamas-related activities.

In 2008, he was sentenced to 16 months in prison on charges linked to his activities on the student council at Ramallah's radical Birzeit University.

AFP contributed to this report. 

Join our official WhatsApp group