
After a massive manhunt Thursday morning in Tel Aviv, two suspects were arrested on suspicion of engaging in terrorist activities.
Police said the two suspects were handed over to the Israel Security Agency for questioning. They did not furnish other details on their activities. A police spokesperson told Israel Radio that the suspects were residents of Arab neighborhoods of Jerusalem.
Police had earlier closed a major intersection in Tel Aviv as they searched for the pair, suspected of planning an attack in the coastal city.
Israel Radio reported that the Hashalom interchange on the Ayalon Highway was closed as police searched for the terrorist, who was believed to be driving west towards Tel Aviv from the direction of neighboring Givatayim.
The highway was reopened about a half hour later. Announcing their arrest, police said they picked up the pair on foot.
Speaking to Israel Radio, the Mayor of Givatayim, Ran Kunik, said that "apparently there was a terrorist running around the city, first in a car and then on foot."
Kunik said he had no details himself, but said "apparently the terror wave is now hitting here, usually a very quiet corner of the country."
The search area, which was closed to traffic for about an hour, is one of Tel Aviv's busiest, as it is adjacent to the Azrieli Towers and mall, as well as the Kirya compound, the site of the Defense Ministry's headquarters.
