Paramedics and soldiers at the site of the attack
Paramedics and soldiers at the site of the attack Magen David Adom

A terrorist attempted to run over IDF soldiers at the A-Za'im checkpoint near Maalei Adumim, just outside Jerusalem, but was neutralized by alert soldiers.

According to initial reports the terrorist attempted to break through the checkpoint with his car and to hit one of the soldiers standing guard in the process.

Contrary to some initial reports, no soldiers were injured in the attack, but two civilians were treated for shock.

The attacker is a resident of eastern Jerusalem, and was stopped at the checkpoint at Mishor Adumim Junction by police.

Suddenly, the driver sped through the checkpoint in an attempt to escape, and was pursued by detectives who alerted soldiers at the nearby A-Za'im checkpoint.

When soldiers identified the vehicle at the checkpoint, a border police officer approached it. The driver responded by attempting to escape again, reversing into the vehicle behind him and then accelerating towards the officer

Seeing the immediate threat to his life, however, the officer reacted quickly and shot the driver, injuring him and stopping the car in its tracks. The terrorist was then evacuated for treatment in moderate condition.

It is the fifth serious terrorist attack today, as a wave of Arab violence continues to sweep across Israel.

In the first attack Wednesday morning, an 18-year-old female terrorist stabbed a Jewish man in the back in Jerusalem, before being shot and wounded by her victim.

Later, in the early afternoon, an IDF soldier was moderately wounded in the central Israeli city of Kiryat Gat, when a terrorist stabbed him while stealing his weapon. The terrorist then hid in a nearby apartment and fired at police, who fired back and killed him.

This evening, a 25-year-old Israeli was stabbed and injured in Petah Tikvah by an Arab terrorist from Hevron. The terrorist was quickly apprehended by alert security guards.

Also on Wednesday, a Jewish Israeli woman was beaten and only narrowly escaped with her life after an Arab lynch-mob descended on Jewish motorists just south of Jerusalem.

The woman, 38-year-old Tekoa resident Ribi Lev-Ohayon, described her ordeal to Arutz Sheva.

Multiple rock-throwing attacks against Israeli motorists were also reported in several locations throughout Judea and Samaria.

Did you find a mistake in the article or inappropriate advertisement? Report to us