Police announced on Thursday evening that, unlike in previous weeks, they will not limit the entry of Muslim worshippers into the Temple Mount on Friday.
Tensions and intelligence information about planned riots have in recent weeks caused the police to limit entry to the Temple Mount to men over the age of 35. However, this Friday Muslim men of any age will be permitted entry.
Earlier on Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said that steps were agreed at talks in Amman to lower tensions between the Israelis and Palestinians.
After talks with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Jordan's King Abdullah II, Kerry said "firm commitments" had been made to maintain the status quo at holy sites in Jerusalem.
He said Israel and Jordan, which has custodial rights at the Al-Aqsa mosque in the Holy City, had also agreed to take steps to "de-escalate the situation" in Jerusalem and to "restore confidence".
The talks followed a meeting earlier Thursday between Kerry and Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.
Jordan’s King Abdullah has come out vowing to fight any changes Israel makes to the status quo of Muslim holy sites. Last week, Jordan withdrew its ambassador from Israel, after violent Arab riots on the Temple Mount.
Netanyahu called King Abdullah a week ago and promised him the discriminatory status quo, whereby Muslims are permitted to pray while restrictions are placed on Jewish worshippers, would be maintained at the site.