The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is analyzing a video recorded by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the gunman in last week’s shooting attack in Ottawa.
The National Post reported on Sunday that the video was recorded shortly before Zehaf-Bibeau embarked on the shooting spree, in which he killed a reservist at the National War Memorial and shot his way into the Parliament buildings.
“The RCMP has identified persuasive evidence that Michael Zehaf-Bibeau’s attack was driven by ideological and political motives,” RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson said in his second update on the Ottawa terrorist attack.
“Zehaf-Bibeau had prepared a video recording of himself just prior to conducting this attack. The RCMP is conducting a detailed analysis of the video for evidence and intelligence. You must understand that we cannot release this video at this time and I would ask for your patience in this regard,” he added, according to The National Post.
The RCMP said its investigation was making progress tracing Zehaf-Bibeau’s movements prior to the attack. A knife he carried was taken from his aunt’s property in Mont Tremblant.
“Zehaf-Bibeau had lived there years earlier and appeared to have stored the knife on the property,” the RCMP said.
Police were still not sure where he got the shotgun but suspect it came from the same place. “It is an old and uncommon gun. We suspect that he could have similarly hidden the gun on the property but our inquiries continue,” Paulson was quoted as having said.
The operation was funded by money Zehaf-Bibeau saved while working in the Alberta oil fields, police said. “He had access to a considerable amount of funds. We are investigating all of his disbursements in the period leading up to the attack.”
Meanwhile, the RCMP is investigating his “interactions with numerous individuals” in the days before the attack.
“The investigation is focusing on whether these interactions could have contributed or facilitated, in any way, the terrorist attack subsequently committed by Zehaf-Bibeau.”
Paulson said last week that Zehaf-Bibeau was in the process of applying for a Canadian passport when he committed the terror attack and that he had been hoping to leave for Syria.
He revealed that it was Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother, Susan Bibeau, who told police on Wednesday that her son was looking to travel to Syria.
The next day it was reported that Zehaf-Bibeau had applied to renew his Libyan passport but was denied.