Rachel's Tomb
Rachel's TombIsrael news photo

Medical officials in the Palestinian Authority claimed on Friday that Israeli security forces has seriously wounded a PA Arab youth during clashes near Bethlehem.

The officials told AFP that the 15-year-old was hit in the face by a bullet that bounced off the ground during clashes in Aida, north of Bethlehem, and was taken to hospital in Beit Jala.

The youth was later transferred to Jerusalem's Hadassah Ein Kerem hospital for further treatment.

A spokeswoman for the IDF told AFP that "approximately 30 Palestinians hurled an explosive device and blocks at security personnel at the checkpoint near Rachel's Tomb."

"An initial inquiry suggests that during the riot, a Palestinian suspect approached the soldiers using a sling to hurl rocks. Sensing immediate danger, IDF soldiers fired at the suspect's legs," the spokeswoman said.

"The suspect was evacuated by the Red Crescent to hospital for further treatment. The incident is currently being reviewed," she said.

Friday’s incident was the second at Rachel’s Tomb in recent days. On Wednesday evening, about 50 Arabs mounted an assault on Rachel's Tomb. They threw pipe bombs, fire bombs and rocks at the security forces guarding the compound, injuring one soldier lightly.

The soldier, who was hit by a rock, received medical treatment on the spot and did not require hospitalization.

On Tuesday, a 17-year-old PA Arab died after being hit by three bullets in the village of Budrus, near Ramallah.

The boy, Samir Awad, died after being hit by three bullets, a response by the IDF after several Arab teens and men approached the security fence near Budrus and damaged it in an attempt to infiltrate Israel. The Palestinian Authority condemned the incident, calling on the international community to take legal action against Israel.

On Sunday night, IDF soldiers arrested a PA Arab man who tried to shoot a guard at a kibbutz in Gush Etzion.

Locals who heard the gunfire alerted security forces who searched the area, located the man and arrested him. The man was found to be carrying an improvised weapon.

On Saturday night, a 21-year-old PA Arab was shot to death by IDF forces south of Hevron as he was trying to infiltrate into Israel through the border fence.

Arabs have rioted and attempted to carry out terror attacks in the PA-assigned areas of Judea and Samaria in recent weeks, while PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas's security forces have failed to stop them as they had done in the past.

The incidents have led some to warn that a third Arab intifada (uprising) is in the works.

(Arutz Sheva’s North American Desk is keeping you updated until the start of Shabbat in New York. The time posted automatically on all Arutz Sheva articles, however, is Israeli time.)