Iran's nuclear proram will soon be strike-proof, according to Defense Minister Ehud Barak. Speaking on Monday to the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Barak said the window of opportunity for a military strike is rapidly closing.
The Islamic Republic, he told the committee, is rushing to move its nuclear development facilities underground, and beyond the reach of any attack.
"The world, including the current U.S. administration, understands and accepts that Israel necessarily views the threat differently than they do,” Barak pointed out. “Ultimately Israel is responsible for taking the decisions related to its future, its security and its destiny.”
Iran's nuclear program is “steadily approaching maturation and verging on a 'zone of immunity,' - a position from which the Iranian regime could complete its program without effective disruption, at its convenience,” he added in a statement released by his office to reporters.
Israel's government leaders have been working in concert in recent weeks to accustom the population – and the rest of the world – to the idea that if necessary, due to the short time left before the sites are underground, the Jewish State is ready “go it alone” to eliminate Iran's nuclear threat. The US has bunker busters that could reach deep underground sites, but Israel's are more limited.
Last week, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reminded the world in one of his fiercest speeches to the Knesset in some time, that Israel has "never left its fate to others, not even in the hands of its best friends."