An Afghan cleaner has been killed inside the headquarters of NATO-led forces in Kabul, Reuters reported on Tuesday.
Investigators are checking whether he was shot by a foreign soldier, said the report.
The 21-year-old man’s brother said he believed the cleaner had been shot already on Sunday, possibly accidentally, by a member of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. ISAF has confirmed the shooting but could not say who had opened fire or why.
“He was shot by someone, but I don’t know if it was accidental or if they did it on purpose,” the brother told Reuters.
“He passed away from the wounds caused by the weapon discharge,” ISAF spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jimmie Cummings told the news agency. He added that an investigation was under way.
The brother added he was sure an ISAF service member had shot his brother because they were normally the only people who carry guns inside the headquarters. He said he was told by ISAF personnel that his brother had been “accidentally shot.”
“It is not clear what the exact reason for his death was. Until it is fully clear, we cannot say anything,” Abdul Zahir, head of criminal investigations at Kabul police, told Reuters.
