Rock attack in Jerusalem
Rock attack in JerusalemFlash 90

It started as a calm tour of the capital on Jerusalem Day, and ended with an Arab rock ambush that could have ended much more badly than it did.

Michal Kamar was part of a group that went on a tour in the footsteps of the IDF soldiers who liberated Jerusalem in 1967. The tour, led by Rav Yoel Bin-Nun, ended after 8:00 P.M. with a session of singing and prayer on the Mount of Olives, opposite the Temple Mount.   
Kamar told Arutz Sheva’s Hebrew language service that she took the “main road” out of the site [probably Wadi Joz – ed.]. She had been warned that there had been a rock attack on that road and tried to follow an alternate route, which proved hard to navigate. She therefore decided to try the main route anyways, in the thought that police would probably be there following the initial attack.
Michal drove the car. A female friend sat beside her and there were two men – both of whom happen to be blind – sitting in the back. She followed another car, driven by a friend, but was then separated from the friend’s car by cars driven by Arabs. When she called her friend on the cell phone, the friend began screaming that an Arab had climbed atop her car.
She then heard a loud boom from the back of her own car, and seconds later a large rock came crashing through the rear window, which shattered to smithereens. Fortunately, the rock passed between the passengers who were in the back and did not injure them seriously. The first boom, she later discovered, had been a rock – or an attacker’s foot – that shattered one of her car’s rear lights.

Michal had the presence of mind to swerve out of the lane she was in and drove at high speed in the lane intended for traffic in the opposite direction, screaming and honking her car’s horn. She managed to reach a Border Police position and reported the event. The policemen directed her to safety but she did not get the impression that the event resulted in any other police action. Later, at the police station where she reported the event, she met other people who had been attacked similarly. 
Rock ambushes in Wadi Joz and other roads within eastern Jerusalem have become increasingly common, and police seem unwilling to secure the road. Radical leftist pressure led to high-profile investigations against police officers who defended Israel’s Jewish citizens from Arab attacks in October 2000, and since then, police have been loath to intervene in situations that would require them to use serious force against Arabs.
Police appear to prefer using their intelligence-collecting methods to arrest perpetrators after the fact. A group that attacked Almagor terror victims' group leader Meir Indor was arrested some time after the attack.