
Activists in Samaria expect thousands to attend a large scale event near the entrance to the Biblical city of Shechem Saturday night. They say there is an awakening of grassroots support for the demand to allow Jews free entry and passage in the city.
One of the issues on the gathering's agenda will be the demand that Jews be allowed free access to Kever Yosef, or Joseph's Tomb. This right was taken away from the Jews in September of 2000, when the Palestinian Authority terror war against Israel was launched, until November 2007, when Gershon Mesika was elected to head Samaria Regional Council.
Immediately upon entering office, Mesika arranged for Jews to receive an IDF permit for holding a small event at the Tomb with his staff, on Chanukah 2007. Since then, monthly visits to the Tomb have become routine, but they take place in the dead of night and are carried out with IDF security accompaniment.
David Haivri, Head of the Shomron Liaison Committee, explained that “there is now a big red sign at the entrance to the city, at the site where we will be holding the event, that says 'beyond this point is the PA; it is forbidden for Israelis to enter.'” A group of local residents and Jews from abroad have formed the Shechem Group, he said, and intend to change this situation.
Buses for the event will leave Kiryat Arba, Jerusalem and Bnei Brak. More information is available at this website.