Rocket strike (illustrative)
Rocket strike (illustrative) (Archive)

Two people were killed in rocket and mortar attacks on Nahal Oz and Ashdod Monday night. Two other victims suffered serious and moderate wounds and four were lightly injured. All of the wounded were evacuated to area hospitals.

Gaza terrorists fired two rockets at the city of Ashdod, one of them slamming into a downtown bus station, killing one woman, Irit Sheetrit, and critically wounded another. Several bystanders suffered psychological shock.

Sheetrit, mother of four children, was driving when she heard the rocket warning system, stopped her car and then ran to the bus station for shelter, as suggested by government safety guidelines. Most bus stops do not actually provide protection from rockets, police said.

A mortar shell attack on Nahal Oz killed one soldier, whose identity has not been released for publication. Four other soldiers suffered light wounds and are being treated in Soroka Medical Center in Be'er Sheva.

Two rockets were fired on Ashkelon. where no injuries have been reported. One of the rockets landed north of Ashkelon and south of Ashdod. The attack cut off electricity to southern Ashkelon.

A rocket slammed directly into a house in a Sha'ar HaNegev region kibbutz shortly after the attacks on Ashdod and Nahal Oz. No casualties were reported in the attack.

Aerial surveillance showed terrorists launching two rockets towards the city of Netivot. The "Color Red" rocket warning system in the city was activated, but no strikes were reported.

Defense experts say terrorists are apparently firing rockets from several locations simultaneously. Hamas has rockets that can reach 40 kilometers, they say, putting the cities of Ashdod and Be'er Sheva in the range of fire.

The rocket that hit Ashdod was an upgraded Grad missile, experts said.

Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Defense Minister Ehud Barak met in Tel Aviv on Monday night to discuss the situation.

One person was killed in a rocket attack on Monday morning. The victim was identified as Hani Elmahadi of the Bedouin city of Aroer.

Terrorists managed to hit the Ashdod area for the first time on Monday morning. Hamas leaders have reportedly ordered terrorists to fire rockets as far as possible.