The complete results of the poll taken by pollster Mina Tzemach's Dachaf Institute will be released tonight, on Knesset Television Channel 99. The numbers that have been publicized thus far have been interpreted in various ways.



Eighteen percent of the Israeli-Arab respondents said they favored Hizbullah in the recent war, while 27% said they favored Israel; another 36% of the Arab citizens said they didn't favor either side. The remaining 19% were not accounted for.



At the same time, the Israeli public was also polled as to how they felt the Arabs sided. 55% said that most or all of the Arab public supported Hizbullah. The other 45% of the Jewish public was divided roughly in half: Half thought that half the Arabs supported Hizbullah, while the other half felt that less than half supported Hizbullah.



The left-wing Haaretz newspaper concluded that the Jewish public was proven wrong. Its story was headlined, "Minority of Israeli-Arabs Supported [Hizbullah chief Hassan] Nasrallah," and the inside text said that the Jewish predictions about the Arabs were "different" than what the Arabs actually felt.



In fact, however, the Israeli-Arab tendencies accurately reflected what their Jewish fellow citizens had predicted. 54% of the Arab public said straight out that they did not support Israel, the country of which they are citizens, and another 19% could not say they did support Israel. This well jibes with the feeling by 75% of the Jewish public that half or more of the Arabs supported Hizbullah.



This point could also be phrased differently. 54% of the Arab public said straight out that they did not support Israel, well jibing with the feeling of 55% of the Jewish public that "most or all" Arabs supported Hizbullah. Furthermore, the additional fact that another 19% of the Arab public could not say they did support Israel corroborates the bottom-line feeling of 75% of the Jewish public that half or more of the Arabs support Hizbullah.



A third interpretation, of sorts, was advanced by Arab MK Ibrahim Tzartzur. He said the survey shows that most of the Arabs oppose the war, and are not necessarily against Israel. "On the other hand, the clear majority of Jews feel the Arabs are a traitorous fifth column," Tzartzour said. "The Jews want the Arabs to be more Zionist than they themselves," he added without explanation.