Great-grandson of Gerrer Rebbe killed in traffic accident

1 killed, six injured when car carrying haredi students overturns on way back from Meron.

Gary Willig ,

Accident on Route 4
Accident on Route 4

One person was killed and six injured when their vehicle flipped over just outside Bnei Brak Friday morning.

A group of haredi yeshiva students were returning to Bnei Brak after visiting the grave of the Talmudic sage Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai in Meron. One 19-year-old student lost his life when the vehicle at the Morasha interchange, driving from Route 5 to Route 4, shortly before they reached Bnei Brak at approximately 6:00 AM Friday morning.

The student, who is the great-grandson of the former Admor of the Gur Hasidim (Gerrer Rebbe), Rabbi Avraham Mordechai Alter, was thrown dozens of yards from the vehicle and was killed instantly.

United Hatzalah and Magen David Adom (MDA) paramedics treated the injured at the scene before evacuating them to the hospitals. One person was listed in serious condition, two in moderate condition, and three in light condition.

One of the injured was a 14-year-old boy.

United Hatzalah paramedic Uzi Barak said: "A few dozen meters away from the vehicle, we located the one of the passengers, who had no signs of life. I spoke to the injured while I and other paramedics gave them first-aid treatment, and they noted that they had returned to the grave of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai in Meron."

Senior MDA paramedic Izzat al-Turi said: "The vehicle in which 7 passengers were traveling was crushed in the merging lanes on Route 5. beyond the separation fence. Dozens of meters away, in the Route 4 merging lanes. was a young man of about 25 who had no heartbeat and was not breathing with a severe systemic injury. He was without any signs of life and his death was determined on the spot. Three people were seriously injured and others were moderately injured. We provided life-saving medical care and they were evacuated quickly to the hospital with medical treatment along, along with three who were lightly injured and able to walk."