One injured in stabbing in Beit Shemesh

Haredi youth injured in stabbing attack in Beit Shemesh; two terrorists neutralized.

Cynthia Blank , | updated: 9:16 AM

Scene of Beit Shemesh Stabbing
Scene of Beit Shemesh Stabbing
Spokesperson's Unit

A stabbing attack occurred several minutes before 8:00 a.m. outside a synagogue on the corner of Yehezkel and Habakuk HaNavi Streets in Beit Shemesh, west of Jerusalem. 

A haredi youth was lightly-to-moderately injured with multiple stab wounds to the upper body. 

Magen David Adom paramedics treated the injured victim on the scene, before evacuating him to Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem. Several other people in the area are being treated for shock. 

The two Arab terrorists who attacked the victim were neutralized. Both terrorists were brought to the trauma unit at Hadassah Ein Kerem - one later succumbed to his wounds while the other is in critical condition. 

According to police, both terrorists were wearing t-shirts bearing the symbol of the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Islamist terror movement Hamas.

An initial police investigation found that the two terrorists had tried to board a bus carrying children on Yehezkel Street in Ramat Beit Shemesh, but stopped after the children aboard yelled at them. 

After receiving reports of two suspicious men in the area, Beit Shemesh police arrived on the scene and witnessed the two terrorists stabbing a man near the bus station. They reacted quickly, firing on the terrorists and neutralizing them. 

According to an eyewitness, after the bus driver shut the door on the terrorists, they moved in the direction of the synagogue. 

"At that point, I saw a police car coming up the road, and I ran in its direction and signaled the police inside," the eyewitness, Yinon, told Army Radio. 

"The policeman hadn't gotten out when the terrorists attacked the first man who came out of the synagogue. The police ran after after them and shot from a distance of 50 meters," Yinon added, noting he called MDA while police neutralized the terrorists.

David Leff, head of United Hatzalah's Beit Shemesh branch recounted: "when Hatzalah volunteers arrived on scene, they encountered a man who had been stabbed in the upper body near the bus station. He was fully conscious."

"Security forces acted to neutralize the terrorists who at this time were lying on the ground," he added. "Volunteers are now treating a number of people for anxiety as well as the stabbing victim. Large forces of Beit Shemesh police are operating in the area."

Beit Shemesh Mayor Moshe Abutbul, said, "two (Arabs) tried to enter a synagogue and stab worshippers. Security forces identified and neutralized them."

"It's not easy, we're in the eye of the storm," the mayor added. "There is a very large construction site nearby and we will have to reassess the situation and how to proceed for the future."