Norway Unlikely to 1982 Attack Suspect

Norway is unlikely to extradite a citizen suspected of links to a 1982 attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris, says local official.

Arutz Sheva Staff ,

French police (file)
French police (file)

Norway is unlikely to extradite a citizen suspected of links to a 1982 attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris after France issued an arrest warrant for him, an official said Thursday, according to the AFP news agency.

Walid Abdulrahman Abu Zayed, alias "Souhail Othman", who has lived Norway since 1991, was one of three suspects on a French international warrant issued two weeks ago.

His wife angrily denied the charges against him, and an official with the Norwegian Prosecuting Authority said that as he was now a citizen, he could not be extradited.

"There is no legal basis in Norway for expelling a Norwegian citizen to France or any other country," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

He also said Norway was unlikely to arrest the suspect because a 2013 law exempting "serious acts of terrorism" from a 25-year statute of limitations cannot be applied retroactively.

France on February 20 issued international arrest warrants for three men suspected of involvement in the grenade and shooting attack on a Jewish restaurant in Paris that killed six people.

The attack was blamed on the Abu Nidal Organization, which was seen in the 1970s and 1980s as one of the most violent Palestinian Arab terrorist groups.

Abu Zayed's wife told AFP the allegation against her husband, who lives in the small town of Skien south of Oslo, was a case of "mistaken identity".

"My husband has never killed anybody. He has never been to France," said the woman, who did not give her full name.

The attack began around midday on August 9, 1982 when a grenade was thrown into the busy restaurant in the Marais district, a popular and largely Jewish neighborhood in the center of Paris.

Two men then entered the restaurant, which had around 50 customers inside, and opened fire with machine guns.

Overall, between three and five men are thought to have taken part in the attack.