Suspected Buckingham Palace terrorist charged

British authorities charge man with terrorism offenses following last week's stabbing attack near Buckingham Palace.

Contact Editor
Elad Benari,

Police vehicle patrols outside Buckingham Palace
Police vehicle patrols outside Buckingham Palace
Reuters

British authorities on Thursday charged a man with terrorism offenses following the attack near Buckingham Palace last week, in which a suspect with a four-foot sword injured three police officers.

London’s Metropolitan police charged Mohiussunnath Choudhury, 26, from Luton in north London with engaging in the preparation to commit an act or acts of terrorism. He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later Thursday, reported The Associated Press.

Police said three officers were lightly wounded as they struggled to arrest a man who deliberately drove up to a police van in a restricted area on Constitution Hill, a road near the palace.

The officers confronted the man, who reached for the sword in his car and repeatedly shouted “Allahu akbar” during the incident, police said. The officers used tear gas to incapacitate the man and arrested him at the scene.

No one other than the suspect and the officers were injured.

Earlier this week, British police arrested a second man but are now saying he faces no further action.

London was targeted by a terrorist attack in June, in which three terrorists drove into passengers with a van on the London Bridge, then proceeded to stab people at the nearby Borough Market, where they were eliminated by security forces.

In April, a terrorist was arrested near Parliament before he was able to carry out an attack.

35 people have been killed in three jihadist attacks in London and Manchester since March.