Saudi Arabia confirms California shooter visited

Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Washington confirmed that Syed Farook visited the country in the summer of 2014.

Ben Ariel,

Scene of San Bernardino shooting
Scene of San Bernardino shooting
Reuters

Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Washington confirmed on Thursday that Syed Farook, one of the shooters in the mass California shooting attack that left 14 dead, visited Saudi Arabia in the summer of 2014.

"Syed Rizwan Farook traveled to Saudi Arabia in the summer of 2014 for a total of 9 days," the embassy said in a statement quoted by the Reuters news agency.

"The Saudi government has no records indicating that the wife is a Saudi citizen," added the embassy.

Reports earlier on Thursday indicated that Farook was in contact with terrorists.

Investigators said that Farook was in touch by phone and social media with more than one international terror suspect, without specifying what terror groups they belonged to.

An investigation of Farook and his wife's house later revealed thousands of more rounds of ammunition, 12 pipe bombs, and hundreds of tools that could be used to create pipe bombs or improvised explosives, according to police.

Aside from Farook, also killed in the shootout with police was his wife Tashfeen Malik, 27, with whom he evidently traveled to Saudi Arabia in order to marry.

Meanwhile, President Barack Obama told journalists on Thursday that "at this stage, we do not yet know why this terrible event occurred."

"We do know that the two individuals who were killed were equipped with weapons and appeared to have access to additional weaponry in their homes. But we don’t know why they did it," he added.




top