Netanyahu Vows to End Violence Against IDF
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu instructed senior security officials to prepare an emergency plan to deal with settler violence against the IDF during an 'emergency session' of the cabinet on Tuesday.
The meeting was held the morning after a night raid by scores of angry youth on an IDF base in Samaria who were angry at demolitions of home that resulted in clashes with soldiers and damage to IDF vehicles. Police reinforcements were required to chase the youth from the base.
“No one can break the law. No one can raise a hand against the IDF or the police," Netanyahu said. "This is the foundation of democracy. Land of Israel loyalists understand this. I will not tolerate such destructive behavior. These small events can spread into a great evil. I met with the heads of the justice and security systems. I requested an emergency plan. This evil must be stopped now.”
However, Netanyahu dismissed claims in Israel's media that the incidents were representative of the nationalist camp or Jewish residents in Judea and Samaria as a group.
“There is a very small core that speaks of ideological unlawful acts. There is no such thing. It is just unlawful," Netanyahu said. "This is something small that could become something large and bad. We will stop it now."
Condemnation was widespread among community leaders in Judea and Samaria, as well.
MK Yaakov "Ketzalah" Katz said, “Anyone who is acts against the IDF is not part of the settlement movement and actually works against it," adding he believed Shin Bet provocateurs might have incited disaffected youth into the act.
Danny Dayan, chairman of the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea and Samaria, decried the incident as "shameful and disgraceful."
Former Yesha leader Pinchas Wallerstein went so far as to say those responsible should not call themselves "settlers or religious Jews.”
Rabbis from across the spectrum in Israel also condemned the incident.