Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the nation this evening (Monday) on the recent security escalation, including the murder of four civilians in terrorist attacks last week, the clashes between Arab extremists and police on the Temple Mount, and the firing of dozens of rockets by terrorists from Lebanon and Lebanon last week. During his address, Netanyahu announced the reversal of his previous decision to dismiss Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and said that Gallant would remain in his position.
"Citizens of Israel, our country is under a terrorist assault. This terrorist assault did not start now. During the previous Passover, a similar provocation took place on the Temple Mount. Last year, under the previous government, the number of terrorist attacks doubled. The previous government signed an agreement with Hezbollah in which it handed over our sovereign territories and gas reservoirs to the enemy without receiving anything in return. It assured us that this surrender agreement would distance the confrontations with the terrorist organizations," Netanyahu began.
"But as we warned and warned, the exact opposite happened. The attacks only increased and our deterrence was damaged. Unfortunately, it was damaged even more, when in recent months our enemies interpreted the calls for resistance as a weakening of our national resilience," he added.
The Prime Minister claimed: "Our enemy hears and sees everything and they believe that they will be able to attack us with combined terrorist attacks from Lebanon, Syria and Gaza. Now this is our watch and our responsibility, especially mine. I do not act recklessly but firmly, decisively and above all responsibly. We will repel these dangers and defeat our enemy. We have done it in the past and we will do so this time as well."
"We are working and doing a lot. The Assad regime will pay a heavy price if it continues to allow action against us [from its territory]. There are still many warnings, but we will reach all the terrorists. We are in the middle of the battle," said the Prime Minister.
In light of the situation, Netanyahu announced that Gallant would continue to serve as Defense Minister. "Even in the last few days, Gallant and I have been working together. There were serious disagreements between us on several issues, but I decided to put them behind us. Gallant remains in his position and we will continue to work together for the sake of the citizens of Israel."