The Iranian parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission held a meeting on Tuesday to investigate last week’s "accident" at the uranium enrichment facility in the city of Natanz, commission spokesman Abolfazl Amouei said on Tuesday.
The meeting was attended by top officials, including Minister of Intelligence Mahmoud Alavi, his deputies, senior members of the Army Air Defense Command, and high-ranking officers of the police force, said Amouei, according to Radio Farda.
Based on the briefings at the session, he added, "significant conclusions" were reached.
Speaking to the state-run news agency ISNA, Amouei said, "The authorities delivered a report on their responsibilities related to the case, explaining the security aspects of the Natanz incident, and responded to questions raised by the members of the commission."
"Significant results concerning the Natanz incident were achieved, and further investigation into various aspects of the explosion at the nuclear facility is underway,” said Amouei, who did not elaborate. He also promised that "after a thorough and technical investigation, the results will be made public through the relevant agencies."
Last Thursday, Iran announced that an "accident" had occurred at the Natanz nuclear complex in central Iran.
Iran's Atomic Energy Organization gave no further details, but Natanz governor Ramezan-Ali Ferdowsi told the Tasnim news agency that a fire had broken out at the site.
On Sunday, an unnamed Middle Eastern intelligence official with knowledge of the “accident” at Natanz told The New York Timesthat Israel was responsible for the attack, which he said was carried out using a powerful bomb.