Nearly every night this past week, the IDF has carried out a counter-terror operation in Gaza. Following Thursday night's attacks, Israel's Air Force and artillery targeted thirteen roads in the area of Beit Hanoun and Jabalya, in northern Gaza. The IDF said that the routes are regularly used by terrorists to reach the areas from which they launch Kassam rockets at Israeli towns.
In northern Samaria, the region from which two Jewish towns were forcibly removed and destroyed during the Disengagement Plan, the IDF continues to thwart terror attacks on a daily basis.
During the past week, the following attacks were thwarted by the IDF presence in and around Shechem (Nablus) and Jenin:
* An explosives laboratory was uncovered by the IDF and General Security Service in the Massaken Sha'abiya neighborhood in Shechem. In the laboratory, forces found: an explosive belt ready for use, a projectile rocket, 160 pounds of explosives, an electronic system used for cellular activation of a network of explosive devices, a small explosive device and a large quantity of raw materials used for the manufacturing of explosives. The explosives laboratory was detonated in a controlled manner by IDF sappers.
* A number of explosive devices, weighing hundreds of pounds, were uncovered in a well in the village of Kabatya, southeast of Jenin. The explosives were detonated in a controlled manner by sappers. Four wanted Islamic Jihad terrorists were arrested in the operation, during which the Arabs opened fire several times at the force and activated two explosive devices. In addition, a Border Police officer was injured lightly when Arabs hurled firebombs and rocks at additional forces in the area.
* Two metal cans filled with explosives were found in the possession of a 15-year-old Arab boy who arrived at the Hawara Crossing, south of Shechem. A 6-inch knife was found on an Arab man at the crossing and three other men were found with four firebombs and a number of rifle bullets.
* Two pipe bombs were found and confiscated at a temporary roadblock west of Jenin and a belt full of ammunition confiscated at such a roadblock south of the city.
* A 16-year-old Palestinian tried to stab Border Police at the Salem Crossing after a metal detector determined he had a large knife on his person. An Arab woman was found with a large knife on her person at the Beit Eba checkpoint near Shechem. The woman admitted that she intended to stab soldiers at the checkpoint.
* Soldiers were alerted of contact with the separation fence near the Jenin suburb of Kafin and were targeted with an explosive device when they arrived at the scene.