U.S. military confirms 50 civilians killed in Iraq and Syria

U.S. military confirms an additional 50 civilians killed by coalition air or artillery strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Contact Editor
Arutz Sheva North America Staff,

Airstrike in Syria
Airstrike in Syria
iStock

The U.S. military said on Friday it has confirmed an additional 50 civilians killed by U.S. coalition air or artillery strikes in Iraq and Syria, reports The Associated Press.

That raises the total number of civilians assessed to have been unintentionally killed by the coalition since August 2014 to 735.

In its monthly update on civilian casualties in the war against the Islamic State (ISIS) group, the coalition said that in August it completed its assessment of 185 reports of civilian casualties, including from previous months.

Of the 185, only 14 were deemed credible, resulting in 50 deaths. The most recent fatalities happened July 14 when 10 civilians were killed in a strike on an ISIS tunnel system in Mosul, Iraq, according to AP.

The military stressed that in each case all feasible precautions had been taken to avoid harming civilians.

Last month, a U.S.-led coalition air strike on the city of Raqqa in Syria resulted in the deaths of 43 civilians, including 19 children.

Coalition spokesperson Col Ryan Dillon said that ISIS is “baiting” the coalition into carrying out airstrikes that will result in civilian casualties.

Dillon added that the accusations "would be taken seriously and investigated."

In September of last year, the Pentagon apologized after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syrian military positions inside the country.

(Arutz Sheva’s North American desk is keeping you updated until the start of Yom Kippur in New York. The time posted automatically on all Arutz Sheva articles, however, is Israeli time.)








top