Barcelona attacker remains at large

Barcelona police arrest two suspects in Barcelona van attack, but say neither is the driver.

Contact Editor
Elad Benari,

Aftermath of Barcelona attack
Aftermath of Barcelona attack
Reuters

Two men who were arrested after Thursday’s van attack in Barcelona, which killed at least 13 people, were connected to the incident but neither was the driver of the vehicle, police said, according to Reuters.

Police confirmed that in a separate incident, another man who ran over two officers at a checkpoint in Barcelona was shot dead. That incident was apparently not linked to the van attack, they said.

The driver of the van which mowed people down on the busy Las Ramblas avenue left the vehicle on foot and did not appear to be armed, a Catalan police official told a news conference.

One of the two men arrested was Moroccan and the other was from the Spanish enclave of Melilla in North Africa, according to Reuters. They were arrested in two different towns in the region of Catalonia, Ripoll and Alcanar.

Earlier on Thursday, local police said that the number of people who were injured in the Barcelona attack had risen to 100, among them victims who suffered serious and critical injuries.

The Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack, through its Amaq news agency.