Women's flotilla to set sail in September or October

Latest attempt to break Israel's naval blockade on Gaza will include 25 women, including parliamentarians.

Contact Editor
Dalit Halevi,

Gaza border
Gaza border
Flash 90

Dr. Mazen Kahel, the head of the European campaign aimed at breaking Israel's naval blockade on Gaza, provided more details on a planned women's flotilla to Gaza, first announced in March.

Speaking to Hamas's Palestine newspaper on Saturday, Kahel said that two ships will set sail from Spain towards Gaza in late September or early October.

He added that 25 women will be on board the two ships, including political activists, lawyers and parliamentarians.

The flotilla will last for about a week and its goal, according to Kahel, is first and foremost to raise awareness about the issue of the blockade on Gaza and to show support for Palestinian women.

MK Hanin Zoabi (Joint List) was previously reported to be one of the participants on the women's flotilla.

There have been several such attempts to break Israel's naval blockade on Gaza, which a UN team has said is completely legal.

The first, and perhaps most famous flotilla was the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla. When the ships taking part refused to stop IDF soldiers boarded, upon which they were assaulted by the "humanitarian" activists wielding knives, iron bars and other lethal weapons.

The soldiers were forced to open fire to save their lives, killing ten of their assailants and sparking an international media backlash.

Despite the supposed "humanitarian" aims of the effort, Israel found the flotilla in fact was not carrying any humanitarian aid, or any other type of supplies for that matter.