Security Sources: Israel Didn't Carry Out Third Syria Strike

Appraisal poses that third strike in Qalamoun accredited to IAF by Arabic media was actually conducted by Syrian rebels.

Contact Editor
Yishai Karov, Ari Yashar,

F-15I releases flares (file)
F-15I releases flares (file)
Flash 90

Israeli security sources have denied Israeli involvement following reports in Arabic-language media, which claimed that Israeli airstrikes on Sunday night took out Hezbollah rocket launchers at Syrian army sites along the Qalamoun mountain region of Syria near the Lebanese border.

According to the appraisal of security sources, the IAF did not conduct the airstrikes, but rather the strike was conducted by Syrian rebels as part of the ongoing civil war in the country that has already left over 220,000 killed.

The report Sunday night was the most recent of three such reports in Arab media, following reports of Israeli strikes on a weapon transfer last Wednesday and on a Scud missile depot this Saturday, all said to be in the Qalamoun region.

The area is a key Hezbollah smuggling area, with weapons funneling into the Iran-proxy Lebanon-based terrorist group through the mountains.

Sunday night's strike reported by Al Jazeera came hours after four Arab terrorists were eliminated by the IDF as they placed an explosive on the Golan Heights border with Syria.

Earlier on Sunday Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon (Likud) warned that Israel will strike Iranian attempts to smuggle advanced weapons to the Hezbollah, in what was viewed as a a subtle confirmation that Israel had taken out the Scud transfer the day before.

"Iran continues to try and arm Hezbollah, even in these very days, and it hopes to equip the Lebanese terrorist organization with advanced and precise weapons," said Ya'alon. "We won't allow Iran and Hezbollah to establish a terrorist infrastructure on our border with Syria, and we will know to put our hands on all those who threaten citizens of Israel, along all our borders and even far from them."