World Leaders Gather for Rally in a Tense Paris

Millions of citizens, dozens of world leaders expected to march through Paris Sunday despite ongoing threats from terror groups.

Arutz Sheva Staff,

'Paris is Charlie' on Arc de Triomphe
'Paris is Charlie' on Arc de Triomphe
Reuters

More than a million people and dozens of world leaders are expected to march through Paris Sunday in a historic display of global defiance against terrorism after jihadist attacks in France last week left 17 dead.

In an unprecedented show of unity, the leaders of Israel and the Palestinian Authority will both be among the world leaders attending the rally to honor the victims of three days of bloodshed that included Jews and a Muslim police officer among the dead.

Along with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, the king and queen of Jordan will be present, as well as a host of top European leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron.

United States President Barack Obama will be represented by Attorney General Eric Holder, who will also take part in an emergency meeting of interior ministers to discuss the threats posed by Islamic extremism and terrorism.

Speaking from a visit to India, US Secretary of State John Kerry said: "We stand together this morning with the people of France. We stand together not just in anger and outrage but in solidarity and commitment in confronting extremists."

Emotions running high

Under clear blue skies, emotions were already running high in the shell-shocked City of Light, as people from all walks of life began to rally under the banner of freedom of speech and liberty.

"I want to show that we're not scared of the extremists. I want to defend freedom of expression," said 70-year-old Jacqueline Saad-Rouana.

Another woman in her 50s who declined to be named said she was going to the march as it is "the way to show that I live in a country where everyone has their place."

The families of those who died in the three blood-soaked days that shook France to its core will rub shoulders with royalty and heads of state within an iron ring of security.

Defenses were beefed up in a jittery Paris still reeling from the Islamist attacks on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine and a Jewish supermarket, with thousands of extra troops and police deployed to guard the march and snipers positioned along the route.

"I have no doubt that millions of citizens will come to express their love of liberty, their love of fraternity," French Prime Minister Manuel Valls told an emotional rally on Saturday near where a gunman killed four hostages at the supermarket.

In a foretaste of the demonstration, more than 700,000 people poured onto the streets of cities across France on Saturday, many carrying banners reading "Je suis Charlie" (I am Charlie), the tribute to Charlie Hebdo that has been the global rallying point in the wake of the slaughter.

Many brandished pens to symbolize freedom of expression as the magazine was targeted for its cartoons mocking the Prophet Mohammed.

Possible new attacks

President Francois Hollande, who will lead the tributes to the victims at the memorial rally, has warned his shell-shocked country not to drop its guard in the face of possible new attacks.

The three-day rampage by three gunmen, who claimed to be members of the Al-Qaeda and Islamic State terrorist groups, was followed by a chilling new threat from the Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

AQAP top sharia official Harith al-Nadhari warned France to "stop your aggression against the Muslims" or face further attacks, in comments released by the SITE monitoring group.

German newspaper Bild said the bloodshed in France could signal the start of a wave of attacks in Europe, citing communications by Islamic State leaders intercepted by US intelligence.

It said the US National Security Agency had intercepted communications in which leaders of the jihadist group announced the next wave of attacks, the mass circulation daily said in its Sunday edition, citing unnamed sources in the US intelligence services.

Early Sunday, a German newspaper in the northern port city of Hamburg that reprinted Mohammed cartoons from Charlie Hebdo was the target of an arson attack although no one was hurt.

"Clear failings"

Last week's attacks were France's bloodiest for more than half a century, with questions mounting about how the gunmen could have slipped through the net of intelligence services.

Valls admitted there had been "clear failings" in intelligence.

Perpetrators of the Charlie Hebdo massacre - brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi - were both well-known jihadists. 

Cherif Kouachi, 32, was convicted in 2008 for involvement in a network sending fighters to Iraq. Said, 34, was known to have travelled to Yemen in 2011, where he received weapons training from AQAP.

It also emerged that the brothers had been on a US terror watch list "for years".

Amedy Coulibaly, 32, who shot dead a policewoman Thursday before storming a kosher supermarket Friday and killing four others, met Cherif Kouachi in prison.

He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2013 for his role in a failed bid to break an Algerian Islamist, Smain Ait Ali Belkacem, out of jail.

Coulibaly's mother and sisters condemned his actions on Saturday.

"We absolutely do not share these extreme ideas. We hope there will not be any confusion between these odious acts and the Muslim religion," they wrote in a statement.




top