Nigerian Terror Group Kidnaps 30 More Children

Heavily armed Boko Haram gunmen invaded Mafa in Borno state Friday and Saturday and abducted 30 boys and girls, local leaders told media.

Contact Editor
Cynthia Blank,

Boko Haram abduction triggered worldwide prot
Boko Haram abduction triggered worldwide prot
Reuters

Boko Haram terrorists kidnapped at least 30 boys and girls from the town of Mafa in Borno state in northeast Nigeria over the weekend, CNN reports. 

The news of the kidnappings was slow to be revealed due to lack of telecom service in the region - a result of Boko Haram's near five-year insurgency against the Nigerian government.

However, local leader confirmed reports of the abductions stating that heavily armed Boko Haram gunmen invaded the town on Friday and Saturday, seizing 30 boys and girls. 

"‎In the past two days Boko Haram insurgents stormed Mafa and abducted 30 boys aged 13 and above and girls aged 11 and above," Mafa local government chairman Shettima Maina said.

"They took them away to their base in the bush, and we believe they are going to use them as foot soldiers," Maina said.

The local chief of Mafa, Mallam Ashiekh Mustapha, confirmed the abductions and reported that the kidnappers also stole 300 cows from the farming community in the raid.

Boko Haram's constant raids have prompted a flood of fleeing residents from Mafa and nearby villages to the Borno state capital of Maiduguri. 

Last week Boko Haram terrorists abducted 60 women and girls in two Christian villages in neighboring Adamawa state. Then, on Thursday, Boko Haram looted and set ablaze the village of Ndongo killing 17 people. 

"Many people have fled with their families to Maiduguri for fear of being killed or losing their children to the insurgents," Mustapha said.

This recent string of kidnappins has dimmed Nigerian residents hopes for the release of the 219 schoolgirls taken captive by the group in April. The release was anticipated as a part of a ceasefire between Boko Haram and the government, declared by Nigerian authorities.

The Nigerian government claims that Boko Haram denies involvement in Friday and Saturday's kidnappings, but the group itself has issued no public statement, just as they offered no confirmation of the ceasefire two weeks ago. 

In his interview, Government Chairman Maina went on to lament that the military has done nothing to stop raids despite repeated complaints.