Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman Mahmoud Abbas has once again threatened to cut ties with Israel if his latest unilateral move at the United Nations (UN) fails.
Speaking on Monday to reporters in Cairo, on the sidelines of the international donors’ conference on rebuilding Gaza, Abbas declared that his talks with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry did not bear fruit and that the PA intends move forward with its plan to turn to the UN Security Council to set a deadline for Israel to “end the occupation”.
"If all efforts fail, we will end relations with Israel and I will tell Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, ‘Come and take over’. However, I will not dismantle the Palestinian Authority and I will submit a request to join all the organizations belonging to the UN," he declared.
The draft resolution that Abbas plans to submit to the Security Council will reportedly call for Israel to “end the occupation” by November of 2016.
The move has been backed by Russia, as its deputy foreign minister announced on Sunday.
In 2012, the PA unilaterally turned to the United Nations and received recognition as a non-member observer state by the General Assembly.
Since then, the PA has threatened several times that if peace talks fail, it would turn to international institutions and seek to sue Israel in the International Criminal Court.
In his comments on Monday, Abbas also told reporters that the reconciliation with Hamas will not be completed before parliamentary and presidential elections are held.
He said that the Palestinian Arab unity government operates in Gaza, but admitted that "Hamas is still in control of the situation on the ground" and that "there is no future for a place that half of which is militias, and this situation will not change unless elections are held."