Daily Israel Report

IDF Demolishes Homes of Teens' Murderers

IDF forces demolished the homes of the terrorists who kidnapped and murdered Gilad Sha’ar, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrah.
By Elad Benari
First Publish: 8/18/2014, 6:30 AM

Marwan Kawasmeh (L), Amar Abu-Eisha
Marwan Kawasmeh (L), Amar Abu-Eisha
Israel Security Agency

The IDF demolished on Sunday night the homes of the three terrorists who kidnapped and murdered Israeli teens Gilad Sha’ar, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrah.

According to a statement by the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit, the homes of terrorists Hussam Kawasmeh and Amar Abu-Eisha were demolished. The home of a third terrorist, Marwan Kawasmeh, was sealed.

The operation was carried out “as part of the ongoing fight against terrorism and its infrastructure, in accordance with the decision of the head of Central Command, Gen. Nitzan Alon, and after three petitions on the issue were rejected by the Supreme Court,” the statement said.

“Demolishing the homes of the terrorists sends a serious and deterring message to terrorists and their accomplices, that there is a price to pay if they choose to continue their terrorist activities and attacks on innocent people,” the statement continued. “The security forces - the IDF, the Shin Bet and the Israel Police - are continuing the search for the kidnappers.”

“The IDF will continue to take all available legal means to harm terrorists and their supporters, and discourage further attacks,” it concluded.

Hussam Kawasmeh, a resident of Hevron, was recently arrested in the Arab neighborhood of Shuafat in Jerusalem in a joint operation involving IDF forces and the Shabak (Israel Security Agency), and has admitted under interrogation to having orchestrated the kidnapping and said he received funding from Hamas officials in Gaza.

The other two terrorists are still at large.

After going missing on June 12, the three teenagers were declared kidnapped the next day. Suspicion immediately fell on Hamas after intelligence pointed towards the involvement of Kawasmeh and Abu-Eisha, whose names were publicized two weeks later.

An 18-day search for the three teenagers ensued, accompanied by a crackdown on Hamas in Judea and Samaria, but the search ended in tragedy after their bodies were found in field close to the Arab village of Halhul near Hevron. They were buried side-by-side in the city of Modi'in.

The three boys are believed to have been murdered very shortly after being kidnapped; one source close to the murder investigation said a recording of a call made by one of the boys as he was being kidnaps provides crucial evidence that the murder had been pre-planned from the very start.