Daily Israel Report

Hamas: We Don't Trust Israeli Ceasefire

Hamas spokesman: Israel's announcement of a humanitarian ceasefire "an attempt to divert the attention from Israeli massacres".
By Elad Benari
First Publish: 8/4/2014, 6:15 AM

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri
Reuters

Hamas on Sunday night rejected the seven-hour humanitarian ceasefire announced by Israel and scheduled to begin Monday morning at 10:00 a.m.

In a statement quoted by AFP, the group’s spokesman said that the terrorist group “does not trust” the ceasefire.

"The unilateral ceasefire announced by Israel is an attempt to divert the attention from Israeli massacres," the spokesman, Sami Abu Zuhri.

"We do not trust this ceasefire, and call on our people to be very cautious," he said, according to AFP.

The Coordinator of Government Activities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza (COGAT), General Yoav Mordechai, announced earlier that Israel will hold its fire in most of Gaza for a seven-hour "humanitarian window" on Monday.

Mordechai also warned that "if the truce will be violated, the army will respond with fire toward the source of the fire.”

Hamas has taken advantage of past temporary ceasefires to continue to fire rockets at Israeli citizens.

On Friday, the group violated a 72-hour ceasefire shortly after it went into effect, killing two IDF soldiers and kidnapping a third, Hadar Goldin, who was declared dead by the IDF on Saturday night.