Fighting between Israeli troops and Hamas terrorists was briefly suspended in two flashpoint areas of Gaza on Wednesday to allow convoys of ambulances to retrieve the wounded, an ICRC spokeswoman said.
"A convoy of seven ambulances and two Red Cross cars went inside Shejaiya to evacuate the wounded," ICRC spokeswoman Cecilia Goin told AFP, saying the move had been coordinated with both Israel and Hamas.
A second convoy of nine ambulances and two Red Cross went into Khuzaa near the southern city of Khan Yunis, an area which also came under very heavy Israeli fire overnight, she said.
A third team went into the northern town of Beit Hanun, the agency said.
"We have coordinated with both Hamas and the Israelis to be able to take out the wounded," Goin told AFP, indicating both sides had agreed to hold their fire, although it was not immediately clear for how long.
There was no immediate comment from the Israelis and an AFP correspondent in Khuzaa said the shooting appeared to be ongoing.
Located between Gaza City and the border, Shejaiya is a densely-populated district which came under an intensive Israeli bombardment on Sunday.
This is the fourth 'humanitarian ceasefire' between Israel and Hamas since Operation Protective Edge began sixteen days ago.
While Israel has agreed to every cease-fire brokered by international powers, Hamas has broken every cease-fire agreement to date. In the last incident, on Monday, Hamas began firing rockets into Israel just 40 minutes after the ICRC truce was announced.
More to follow.