Hamas Fires Large Rocket Salvo at Tel Aviv Area
The IDF is carrying out a "dramatic" large scale strike in the skies of Gaza, Channel 2's military correspondent Ronny Daniel reported Saturday evening.
Hamas launched dozens of rockets at Israel over the Sabbath, striking the Judea region south of Jerusalem for the first time - but in areas under Palestinian Authority control.
A salvo was launched at the Jerusalem area in the early evening, and one rocket exploded in the yard of a home in Arab-controlled Hevron. Another rocket struck Bethlehem, also under PA control, and a third hit near Efrat, not far from Bethlehem.
No one was reported hurt in any of the attacks so far on Saturday.
Hamas said that it launched three M-75 rockets at the Jerusalem area.
Hamas television vowed to keep up the rocket attacks despite the IDF's Operation Protective Edge, and promised that a "new kind of rocket", which it called the J-80, would be launched at Tel Aviv at 9:00 p.m. Saturday. The large scale salvo was indeed launched at Tel Aviv as well as other regions shortly after 9:00, but there have not been reports of injuries thus far.
Five rockets fell in an uninhabited area between Yavneh and Rehovot, in west-central Israel. Two rockets were intercepted over Rehovot, another over Rishon Letzion, and a rocket aimed at the central coastal plain was intercepted over Ashdod. Shell fragments scattered in Ashdod and the residents have been warned not to touch them.
At least three rockets exploded in an open space in the Eshkol region, causing no damage or injury.
A rocket struck a home in Netivot in the early afternoon, but the residents had scurried to the protected space and were not hurt. Rockets were also fired at Be'er Sheva and Dimona, but struk empty spaces.
Gaza's emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said that since the start of the Israeli campaign in the early hours of Tuesday, around 95 Palestinians have been killed and more than 500 injured.
As the number of victims in Gaza rose, Egypt opened the Rafah border crossing, with hospitals in north Sinai placed on standby to receive the wounded, Egyptian state news agency MENA said.