Daily Israel Report
Show More

OpEds


Poisoning on Jerusalem's Main Street

Two men at club on Yafo Street left unconscious by toxic cleaning materials, including chloride gas.
By Ari Yashar
First Publish: 6/27/2014, 9:17 AM

Hazardous materials worker (illustration)
Hazardous materials worker (illustration)
Flash 90

The owner of a club on Jerusalem's popular shopping street, Yafo Street, and an another man were poisoned on Friday morning.

Firefighting crews were called to the scene on the main street of the capital city, responding to reports that the two had lost consciousness.

A search of the environs revealed a high concentration of chloride gas and other poisonous chemical materials on the site, materials that apparently were being used in cleaning, reports Walla!.

The two men suffered minor injuries from toxin inhalation. 

Jerusalem suffered a poisoning tragedy in January, when a young couple and their four children were exposed to a highly toxic material, phosphine, left in their apartment's reinforced security room by an exterminator.

Rescue officials at the scene were shocked to discover that the chemical's toxicity was at the highest levels of the spectrum. The exterminator, Yosef Nataf, was arrested and an investigation launched. 

The entire Gross family was poisoned; the two young girls Yael and Avigail (2 and 4) were tragically killedThe couple's two sons Michael (7) and Yitzhak (5) were left critically ill for weeks at the Schneider Medical Center after the poisoning.

The family finally went home after their ordeal in mid-February, after the boys' conditions had made significant improvement. In April the family announced the boys have returned to normal life - including school, where they were greeted enthusiastically by teachers and classmates.